Sumimasen, Japan. All is forgiven.
If you detected a small whiff of cynicism and self-righteousness in the previous post, I apologize. And now I‘m going to set things right with a glowing report on my time the following day in Nara and Koyasan. THIS is what I’m talking’ about.
Nara & The BIG Buddha
Behold Daibutsuden, until recently the largest wooden building in the world. Holy fuck! Look at that thing! In person, it’s both overwhelming and awe-inspiring. And it’s only 2/3 the size of the original.
Koyasan
Koyasan is absolutely loaded with temples, but I wasn’t wasting any time or energy on them. I was going for The Ultimate Prize - the Okunoin, a 2 km long sacred area which contains over 200 000 gravestones, memorial pagodas and towering cedar trees and ends with the great Kobo Daisha’s mausoleum, where according to believers he remains alive and in eternal meditation for the betterment of mankind. They still bring him 2 meals a day (which blasphemously makes me wonder how they explain the leftovers. “ See, Haraki? Didn’t I tell you he doesn’t like pickles?”)
I’m not going to cheapen the experience by blathering on and on about it and trying to think of as many superlatives as possible. Honestly, fucking magic.
Japan, I love you.
Japanese Fun Facts
Let’s talk police cars - briefly. Police in Japan do NOT drive giant SUVs. In fact, they drive featureless sedans, most of which look like they came out of a sleazy used-car lot. The interesting thing is that most - but not all - of them have this crazy light setup on the roof. When they turn on the flashers, the lights raise up with a scissors-like apparatus.
Not only that, but they have a loudspeaker that would wake the dead. I have no idea what they’re broadcasting over it when they pull someone over, but believe me, they sound like they mean business.

















No comments:
Post a Comment