Seeing as how I had decided to take a day off, I figured a scenic drive through the countryside to Lake Tritriva (a volcanic crater) would be just the thing. The guide book said a 4x4 was necessary. Not a problem. I had The Beast.
Perhaps this should have set off some alarm bells.
Yes, the road conditions seemed to be deteriorating, but I was too busy being enthralled by the scenery - my second mistake.
Remember the “mining” in Uganda? This was on a whole other scale. It was like something out of Ben Hur. I know you can’t see them, but there were literally hundreds of people working here, from what looked like toddlers to great-grandpas. Eerie doesn’t do it justice. And they all watched as I frantically turned around - no mean feat - and hightailed it out of there, descending this hill to do so:
Naturally any sane person would have recognized the idiocy of continuing. No need to guess what I did. Finally, after another hour of slipping, sliding, bumping and grinding - and within a couple of kms of my goal, here’s what stopped me:
Mission Accomplished.







When will you ever learn?
ReplyDelete