Sunday, 19 March 2023

Fart Carnival

 Beach Blanket Bingo, Baby!

That’s exactly what I saw in my immediate future as I pulled out early this morning for the now repetitive craters-in-the-highway, child-beggars, one-hour-dirt-road-drive that’s characterized my journeys thus far. 

We’re talking serious excitement here.

One new (for here at least) wrinkle was Toliara, a hellhole of a tourist town if ever there was one. It had absolutely everything I hope to avoid - dirty, smelly, jam packed with tourist, touts and cheap-ass hotels & bars. A dream come true. Luckily, a quick trip to the grocery store & I was outta there.

When I first set eyes on Eden Ecolodge, I thought,        ”Hell, yeah! At last!”

Unfortunately, I had jumped the gun, conclusion-wise. It turns out that I was eyeballing the Fat Cat bungalows, NOT the economy-sized models.

My first impression. See how easily I’m fooled?

Fat Cat bungalow


My “surfer dude” cabin, which would be fine except…
for the now“shared” bathroom. At 21, if someone had shown me a toilet that had to be flushed with water from the same barrel that I’m going to be pouring over my head for a shower, I would have said, ”Fucking A!” Now, not so much.

Still, I’m absolutely not complaining. Sure, the beach is far from pristine and the water is definitely not sparkling crystal-clear azure, but the sun is shining, the water is warm and I can walk down the beach as far as I like. 




So I’ll hang out here for another day & then head north in my quest for THE Beach. 
It’s a tough job but somebody’s got to do it.





No comments:

Post a Comment