Procrastination - the Mother of all Evils. Such an easy trap to fall into and a hard hole to dig yourself out of. Which is why I avoid it like the plague. But not this time. Nope. I’m so far behind in my chronicling now that it would be ludicrous to even attempt to catch up. So instead of the double album I was planning on releasing, I’m gonna go with a Greatest Hits (and Misses). It’s my only hope. And to make things easier for you (“Yeah, but what does he REALLY think about it?”), I’ll give each experience a rating out of 5 ⭐️
Lake Tekapo & Lake Pukaki 2 ⭐️
Meh.Yes, I know everyone raves about it & its awe-inspiring beauty and yes, the aquamarine colour of the water is stunning and gorgeous, but it’s a LAKE people, not The Pyramids or Mt. Everest, and while you can’t help staring at it in wonder, as you continue travelling you quickly realize that pretty much ALL the water here is that same turquoise colour, so really it’s the equivalent of that first gas station and cafe after a long run through the desert.
Mt. Cook 5⭐️
Now here’s something worth seeing. AND you can camp right there AND you can walk around it and up it - kind of. I mean, look at this:
So there’s the Hooker Valley Track, which is nice and flat (although phenomenally windy) and allows you to gape and gawk to your heart’s content
Or…you can “man up” and do the Sealy Tarn Track, 2200 steps up the mountainside. It’s also known as “The Stairway to Heaven”, which I have to assume is a supremely ironic name since it’s pure hell.
That being said, there is, in fact, quite the payoff if you actually survive.
Queenstown. 2⭐️ (grudgingly)
If I ever make a list of my Top Ten Tourist Towns, rest assured that Queenstown will be on it. Hyped as “The Adrenaline Junkie’s Dream Destination”, you can revel in bungy jumping, river rafting, jet boating or simply strolling the lakeside downtown core, brimming with chi-chi boutiques and artisanal eateries. As my good friends and residents of Queenstown, Betty & Murray (which is what I’ll call all Kiwi couples I’ve met since I can’t recall any of their names) lament, “They’ve fucked it.”
Let me give you an example:
This is a “Fergburger”. It costs $20 (No, I’m not kidding) and not only do people come from far & wide for one, they stand in line - a LONG line.


















You may have to go back to work after this vacation Marco! Very expensive. Beautiful sights though.
ReplyDelete